Saturday, July 3, 2010

Nation's Largest Libraries

This week on resourceshelf.com, the “Resource of the Week” is ‘The Nation’s Largest Libraries’. Topping the list as THE largest Library: The Library of Congress, with a total of 32, 818,014 volumes held. This information is of interest to me not only because it involves libraries, but also because immersion in the holdings of the Library of Congress would be a dream come true for me. Here in the early stages of my MLS education, a career in Academic libraries feels like a good fit. An opportunity to work in the Library of Congress would be an overwhelming seal of approval on my dreams. Also interesting to note that I live not far from the #5 on the list: University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign. My chances of landing a job in Illinois are probably much higher than my chances of working at the Library of Congress, but without any research into the particulars of the UofI library, Illinois is not so much my first choice of states to live or work in. I’d rather dream big and see how things shake out at this point. Indiana University Library ranks 11th on the list, and I suppose if I decide that employment at a library on this list is important to me, I do have many to choose from.
The listing of the Nation’s Largest Libraries is published by the ALA, and the complete list can be found on their website ALA Library Fact Sheets.

I found this fantastic comic panel at the Library Stuff weblog

No comments:

Post a Comment